- in a contrary
direction to something
- If you swim against the current you'll work far harder.
- close by something
- in front of something
- in contact with something
- The puppy rested its head against his chest.
- in opposition or collision with something
- The rain pounded against the window.
- in competition
- The Tigers will play against the Bears this weekend.
- as a protection from something
- He turned the umbrella against the wind.
- Czech: proti
- Danish: imod
- Dutch: tegen
- Finnish: vasten (4), vastaan (5)
- French: contre
- German: gegen
- Greek: ενάντια (enántia), εναντίον (enantíon)
- Hungarian: ellen
- Indonesian: lawan, menentang, kontra
- Interlingua: contra
- Italian: contro
- Japanese: 反対 (はんたい, hantai)
- Korean: 반대, 대
- Kurdish: dij, dijî
- Latin: contra
- Latvian: pret
- Norwegian: imot, mot
- Polish: wbrew (1), o (4,5), przeciwko (6,7), przeciw(6,7)
- Portuguese: contra
- Romanian: impotriva, contra
- Russian: против
- Slovene: proti (1,6,7)
- Spanish: contra
- Telugu: ప్రతిగా
- Turkish: Karşı
- Volapük: kol
Against was the seventh album by Brazilian thrash metal band Sepultura released in 1998 (1998 in music) through Roadrunner Records.
Album informationIt was the band's first release with new singer/guitarist Derrick Green, who replaced Max Cavalera in 1997.
Like Roots that preceded it, not only does the album have a variety of guest musicians, but also incorporates a great deal of tribal influences - this time Japanese elements with the assistance of Japanese Taiko group, Kodo.
The songs Against, Choke and Tribus were released as singles, with a music video accompanying Choke. The video featured footage from the Barulho Contra Fome (Noise Against Hunger) concert that was the first gig of the Against tour. This famous performance included guest appearances from the Xavantes Tribe who'd featured on Roots (who's appearance is documented in the Choke video) as well as Mike Patton, Jason Newsted, Carlinhos Brown, original Sepultura-guitarist Jairo Guedz and Coffin Joe (whose 'blessing' of the band performed during this concert turned up as a b-side entitled 'Prenuncio' on the Tribus E.P.).
ReceptionAgainst was both a critical and commercial failure. Most criticism laid on Green's vocals, to which many fans had a hard time adjusting to his hardcore-styled delivery, but also on the continued distancing from the band's earlier thrash metal persuasions, and the absence of complex riffs in favour of percussive grooves. Though their subsequent releases slowly got more praise, Sepultura has not achieved the same success with Green that they had with Cavalera. This is also the last album to feature the same logo feature first shown on Beneath the Remains.
Against has sold over 100,000 copies.
- "Against" – 1:54
- "Choke" – 3:36
- "Rumors" – 3:04
- "Old Earth" – 4:28
- "Floaters in Mud" – 4:58
- "Boycott" – 3:10
- "Tribus" – 1:39
- "Common Bonds" – 2:58
- "F.O.E." – 2:08 (Jimmy Bowen) (on the Vanishing Point soundtrack as 'Freedom of Expression')
- "Reza" – 2:16 (Prayer - feat. João Gordo from Ratos de Porão on vocals)
- "Unconscious" – 3:37
- "Kamaitachi" – 3:03 (feat. Kodo)
- "Drowned Out" – 1:28
- "Hatred Aside" – 5:13 (feat. Jason Newsted from Metallica on vocals)
- "T3rcermillennium" – 3:56
- "Gene Machine/Don't Bother Me" (Bad Brains) (bonus track on Brazilian release only)
- "Prenúncio" (Prenounce - bonus track on Brazilian release only)
- "Choke" - Released in 1998.
- "Gene Machine / You Don't Bother Me"
- Released in 1999
- The Waste
- Tribus demo
- Common Bonds alternate mix
- Unconscious demo
- F.O.E. extended mix
- Recorded at
- ION Studios, São Paulo, Brazil
- House Of Blues Studios, Encino, California, USA
- The Hook Studios, North Hollywood, USA
- Sparky Dark Studios, Calabasas, California, USA
- Image Studios, Los Angeles, California, USA
- Chophouse Studio, Walnut Creek, California, USA
- Golden Track Studios, San Diego, California, USA
- KODO Village, Sado Island, Japan
- Produced by Howard Benson and Sepultura
- Recorded and engineered by Carlo Bartolini
- Mixed by Tim Palmer at Scream Studios, Studio City, California, USA
- Mixed by Howard Benson and Bobbie Brooks at The Gallery, Encino, California, USA
- Mix assisted by James Saez and Mark Moncrief
- Assistant engineered by David Bryant, Daniel Mantovani, Tosh Kasai, and James Bennett
- Tape Op by Skye A.K. Correa
ChartsAlbum - Billboard (North America)
against in Italian: Against
against in Polish: Against
against in Portuguese: Against
against in Russian: Against
against in Simple English: Against
against in Swedish: Against
about, across, adverse to, as to, at cross-purposes with, athwart, con, concerning, confronting, contra, contrary to, counter to, dead against, despite, en route to, facing, for, fronting, headed for, in conflict with, in contact with, in contempt of, in defiance of, in disagreement with, in front of, in opposition to, in order to, in passage to, in preparation for, in spite of, in transit to, next to, on, on route to, opposed to, opposite, opposite to, over against, re, regardless of, respecting, to, touching, toward, towards, up, up against, upon, versus, vis-a-vis, with respect to